Thursday, July 30, 2009

mmmmmmm yeah


So I love food and one of the things that excites me most is finding a fantastic new restaurant. Now for those of you living in one of the many cultural hubs of America this may not sound like a "Christmas in July Moment" to you. I however live in a town in southern Maine with a minimum of culture. There are 2 restuarants that could be classified as "good". Tonight however, I discovered somewhere new! It was a bistro about 10 minutes away from my house in the next (even more rural) town over from where I live. I walked in with a friend expecting a family style restuarant with mediocre food. Not what I got....walked in and the place was wonderfully decorated with hard wood, many modern features, and get this....tablecloths!!! We were greeted immediately by the host who even pulled our chairs out when seating us....gasp! S0 we open the menu and.....not a hamburger in sight! So after pouring over the extensive cocktail and wine list we ordered wildflower sangria (as recommended by our charming waiter)...devine! Then we got an order of PEI mussels with chorizo and fennel finished with cream and served with crusty french bread....ooohhhh my gosh. We decided to forgo an entree during this visit as we simply weren't very hungry and got another appetizer instead. This time we ordered potato skins. What arrived at our table was not your ubiquitous pub fare however. Huge potatoes with high quality cheese, caramelized onions, and thick applewood bacon. By the standards in my area of the world I was in culinary heaven. Needless to say the entire experience made for a great and completely unexpected end to a run-of-the-mill Thursday.

1 comment: